Where we started
It was in 1851, when roads were impassible because of deep, thick mud, that a handful of German residents planted the seeds of determination to have a parish of their own in Maumee City. At that time, the sole means of crossing the Maumee River to attend services in Perrysburg meant paying a toll for the entire family on the covered wooden bridge.
In 1857, a lot and a small building (a former print shop), on the north side of East Wayne Street, between Conant and Gibbs, was purchased. In 1868, the church relocated its building to its present site on the south side of East Wayne Street.
In the 1850s, the congregation was served by a lay minister and then an itinerant pastor. Rev. Kaeding faithfully served this church for 32 years riding horseback every other week to hold services from 1864-1896.
The year, 1938, marked an unsurpassed spiritual rebirth of this congregation: Maumee’s population steadily increased, the advent of cars in every home eliminated transportation problems, and with the potential of many new families without a church home formed enough basis for this little “preaching station” to become a fully-chartered church of the American Lutheran Church. On June 2, 1938, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church was established as a Mission Congregation of the Michigan District of the American Lutheran Church.
Growth of its mission and ministry enabled the church to expand its physical structure in 1941, 1951 and to build a larger new sanctuary in 1959, being dedicated on July 17, 1960. In July, 1980, property on the north side of East Wayne Street was purchased by the congregation and in 1984, with joint effort with the City of Maumee, the property was constructed into a parking facility. Additional property at East Wayne and Gibbs was purchased in October, 1980.
In 2004, a $2.6 million expansion and renovation project was completed at St. Paul’s. Since then we have enjoyed the use of our expanded facility and have seen the impact that St. Paul’s ministries have made in people’s lives within the church, our community and our world. That project created: air conditioning and additional seating in the sanctuary, handicap accessibility to the building, accessible restrooms and an elevator, enlarged fellowship Hall and updated kitchen area, added conference rooms, Sunday school classrooms, and enlarged and updated nursery facilities. It also created the Gathering Space for people to connect with each other before and after worship and added additional parking and a covered entrance to the church.
On Sunday, April 25, 2010, St. Paul’s voted on a resolution to terminate its affiliation with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and associate with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ.
On September 16, 2018, St. Paul’s congregation celebrated paying off their mortgage at a special Mortgage Burning ceremony and were debt-free.
The members of St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church have every reason to be proud of their efforts over the years to the glory of God, for they have not only kept the faith, but shared it with others and will continue to do so until the Day of the Lord.